Monday, June 15, 2015

Zone Conference



Hello one and all!
As always it was another entertaining week in Moncks Corner--people wanting to get baptized all over the place. 

The only problem is they don't completely understand what baptism is..that just want to be dunked and cleansed by the priesthood and then never come to church again. We taught a lady this week that loved the Restoration lesson. She committed to be baptized then said, "Oh heavens no! “I aint coming to church.” I just want to be baptized by that priesthood authority you talkin' about and then call it GOOD."
We tried to explain that it doesn't quite work that way. This happens a lot here though. Doctrine is ALL over the place in the land of South Carolina.

This week was really, really good though. It was a hard one but ended to great and continues to go well. Elder Christofferson came Saturday to visit our mission and it was just what I needed.
President Turner spoke as well. It was really cool because he read in D&C 100: 3-8 and it says:
 
3 Behold, and lo, I have much people in this place, in the regions round about; and an effectual door shall be opened in the regions round about in this eastern land.
 4 Therefore, I, the Lord, have suffered you to come unto this place; for thus it was expedient in me for the salvation of souls.
 5 Therefore, verily I say unto you, lift up your voices unto this people; speak the thoughts that I shall put into your hearts, and you shall not be confounded before men;
 6 For it shall be given you in the very hour, yea, in the very moment, what ye shall say.
 7 But a commandment I give unto you, that ye shall declare whatsoever thing ye declare in my name, in solemnity of heart, in the spirit of meekness, in all things.
 8 And I give unto you this promise, that inasmuch as ye do this the Holy Ghost shall be shed forth in bearing record unto all things whatsoever ye shall say.
He talked about how this verse is amazing because it says, "in this eastern land (South Carolina)." It felt like the scriptures were speaking directly to our mission.
Elder Christofferson's talk was amazing because it wasn't a talk; it was a discussion. He let us ask questions and then he would answer using the scriptures. His ending testimony was something that I will never forget. He said something like, "All of us probably won't be all together like this again in this life; but I want to remember this moment when you see my lips in person say that I know that my Redeemer lives." It was really powerful. It was such an incredible experience. We are kinda lucky that we have had so many meetings with general authorities lately.
Anyway, I hope you all have an amazing week. I love you all! Thank you for all the support. I know I say that a lot but I really do appreciate it.
Laura 
Three Generations
Sister Swanson, Sister Ashton and Sister Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment